<![CDATA[Question 1<br />
a) Write a letter to one of your friends congratulating him on his outstanding achievement in the field of education.
b) Write a letter to the Editor of a newspaper drawing attention to the constant bandhs and protests that disrupt the social life in your city.
a. Rewrite the following as directed:
1. As I frowned harder and harder, he smiled more and more broadly. [Begin: The harder….]
2. This place is the best place to observe the sunset. [Use: better]
3. How thrilling it was to see the celebration! [Begin: It…]
4. From the news channels came the report that blockade was over. [Begin: The news channels …]
5. I asked my mother whether she thought that I was foolish. [Change into Direct Speech]
6. The student said, “I shall finish the project today.” [Change into reported speech]
7. This is the last time you will ever sit in this cinema. [Begin: Never…]
8. A senseless man repeats his mistakes. [Rewrite using ‘sensible’.]
9. She is so weak that she cannot walk by herself [Rewrite using ‘so…that…]
10. They finished their work. They went home. [Begin: No sooner…]
b. Complete each of the following sentences with an apt form of the word given in brackets.
1. If I ________ you, I would not go near it. [be]
2. Sulekha _____ along the road when she slipped. [walked]
3. The report said that the rebels ______ the city in no time. [ take over]
- The weather _______ like this the whole of yesterday. [remain]
5. My grandfather _____ for a brisk walk every day. [go]
- All the boys…… [assemble] in the school hall before the teacher….. [come].
7. He …… [feel] weak because he ….. [not eat] a morsel for many hours.
8. The fire…. [spread] to the next house before the fire brigade …. [arrive].
9. I …..[work] in this office for a number of years before I ….. [force] to resign.
- She … [lay] the table after she cooked the dinner.