<![CDATA[<p style="text-align: center;"><span style="color: #000080; font-size: 14pt;"><strong>ICSE 2019 English Paper 1: Grammar and Composition: Practice Paper 09</strong></span></p>
Question 1 [5+5]
- You are the Head Boy/ Head Girl of your school. Write a notice to be put up on the school Notice Board, asking the students of Classes VI to X to make contributions to be given to a charitable institution for the underprivileged children.
- Based on Question 1(a), write an email to the Head of the charitable institution asking him/her whether he/she wants the contribution to be in cash or in kind.
Rewrite the following sentences as directed without changing the meaning of each sentence: 
- Put your tools away, the children may fall over them. (Use: lest)
- The experience is so intense that I will never forget it. (Use ‘too’ in place of ‘so’.)
- The President will summon him to Mumbai. (Change the Voice.)
- Although he was eighty years old, he was very active. (Begin: Despite….)
- The Presidency College is one of the oldest buildings in Kolkata. (Begin: Very few…….)
- Whatever he says, he does the opposite. (Begin: No………..)
- He said to her, “Are you ready to rack your brains?” (Begin: He enquired…..)
- The bus left as soon as we got off. (Begin: Hardly………)
Join the following sentences to make one complete sentence without using and, but or so. 
- It may rain. We will remain at home.
- He drew his sword. He rushed towards the enemy.
- I cannot show you the book. I cannot lend the book to you.
- Thomas is smart. His brother is a moron.
Question 3 
Fill in the blanks with an appropriate word:
- The Second World War broke_______ in 1939.
- She insisted _______ hiring a taxi.
- I met Tom _______ the party.
- You can contact the Principal_______8 a.m. and 10 a.m.
- She found it difficult to get _______ the shock.
- The cricket match was called _______ because of the rain.